The Official Stonecutters Message Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official message board of Stonecutters Floor Hockey!

2 posters

Gear Stories

fireguyq

Gear Stories Empty Gear Stories

Post  fireguyq Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:25 pm

I use a Bauer Vapor X:40 Stick'um. While I wish I could say that I chose this vital piece of equipment after extensive research into what would help me perform better as a player, I would be lying. For those that don't know, I am new to the sport. So, like any 'newbie' one of the important factors was cost. About the only thing I knew was that I wanted a composite stick and it had to be for a lefty. So I visited Play it Again Sports and browsed through the used sticks. Like King Arthur and the mythical sword, Excalibur, "Lucille" drew my hand to her and we've been together ever sense...

Also, some of our opponents have asked why I wear a helmet. While I've been told that I look like Tiger Woods, Vin Diesel and Vince Vaughn (I must say I think the lady who said Vince Vaughn probably got her 'Vin's mixed up), I am not vain about my looks. Afterall, like Keanu said in "The Replacements", 'chicks dig scars...' Seriously, when I first signed up, Matthew was told through Sports Monster that they wanted us wearing mouthpieces and eye protection. Then, they told him that they wanted us to wear helmets and that they would have some for us to borrow. Well, I kinda feel that a helmet is similar to a jock strap in the sense that it is something you probably don't want to share, so I purchased a CCM V04 from Hockeymonkey.com. Of course, the week before we start playing, the league changed it's mind and everything wasn't necessary (although they highly recommended mouth pieces and eye protection). Since the helmet was already here and in use, I decided to keep using it. 'Sides, I hate playing w/ a mouth piece...

Anyone else have a reason or good story behind the equipment that you use?
    Matthew
    Admin

Gear Stories Empty Re: Gear Stories

Post  Matthew Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:00 am

The very first hockey stick I bought was a Franklin mid-flex 2035-58. That was WAAAAY back in 2002, when Ryan and I were first getting this thing going. For well over five years I used that stick to practice; in fact, that stick is what I used to hone my puckhandling skills. Every now and then, I'd call that stick, "Old Betsy" in an homage to Al Bundy's nickname for his trusty toilet plunger.

In 2006, I picked up a Franklin mid-flex 2055-58 that I would use to eventually replace "Old Betsy". Primarily, I would only use this stick in breakaway drills with Josh, who called this stick, "The Forsberg" due to its bright orange color (which matched the color scheme of the Philadelphia Flyers, the team that Peter Forsberg was playing with at the time). Sadly (or ironically, take your pick), this stick met a premature end when former Stonecutter Bearded Kevin (not to be confused with Retired Kevin) broke it during a game in the Winter 2008 season.

My goalie stick, a Jean-Sebastian Giguere Koho 490, was picked up for the Winter 2005 season, the very first season for the Stonecutters. I called this stick, "Gladys" in an homage to Groundskeeper Willie of The Simpsons, who called his trusty shovel by the same name.

Finally, my orange Mark Recchi CCM Vapor. This is the orange stick that I never allow any of the other players to use. This is THE stick that I have scored all of my goals with as a Stonecutter. No fancy nickname for this one, other than calling it, "The Recchi." For all of the nicks, paint scratches caused by opponents' sticks, and other "character" markings, my favorites have to be the small chips that have been taken out of the front of the blade. I can't explain why, but for all of the chops and whacks that stick has seen, it has still held up quite well.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 am